Thursday, July 28, 2011

Legacy's Life Takes Us on a "Third" World Excursion

"I have been looking through a lens all of my life. The way I see the world drew me to a career of making movies that spanned 20 years and taking pictures since I was twelve.

The camera never lies.....it is a journey of discovery and understanding, of honesty and soul. I celebrate feelings of wonderment and splendor as I view reality through a lens.....a moment speaks, the shutter clicks and alchemy takes place.

The paradox of the lens removes me from what is taking place on the other side as it connects me to what it touches inside myself. As the stage of life grabs my attention, time is frozen, my heart melts, and the story is told.

The legacy in my pictures is my perspective on life. Legacy's life on me? Someone will need to take my picture...."

-- Joanne Watkins




"Passage" - photograph - by Joanne Watkins


Joanne's discovery of the "third" eye through a camera's lens has opened more than one door to a "third" world that we hadn't expected. Each legacy that is formed from peering through this third eye definitely has an impact on you.


Joanne's connection with the subject through the lens continues to the viewer, a string of life that connects the three together - perhaps the String Theory working? This can only explain what is experienced when each piece seems to come to life; an osmosis, a chemical reaction of the energies takes place and you become one - finding yourself standing inside the photograph - experiencing what was captured at that one moment in time.

As you look at Resting, you find yourself tilting your head to look at Buddha face to face - almost as if you will lie down next to her.





"Resting" - photograph - by Joanne Watkins


Prayer: You find yourself floating, peering down at the woman, watching her as she prepares to pray, you can smell the incense and hear the chant.





'Prayer" - photograph - by Joanne Watkins


As you continue on your journey riding the connection that is so eloquently stated, make sure to stop, look, and listen to what is being said to you for there is a message that is hidden that can be deciphered if you would take the time. Joanne Watkins' will be exhibiting at SoBoBo during the month of August - August 1st - August 31st. Visit us and get lost in this world she is sharing with us as she takes you on an excursion around a "third" world learning about legacy's life through a "third" eye.

SoBoBo located at 42 Naugatuck Avenue, in Milford, Connecticut is opened Noon to 6:00pm Thursdays through Sundays. If you wish to view the art during Monday through Wednesday please call 203-906-8945 to make an appointment.



On August 11th, an exhibit reception will be taking place "connected" to the art stroll that is planned. The reception begins at 7:00 pm, you will be able to meet with Joanne and perhaps learn about her life's legacy.